facebook js

Follow Planet-Soaring on Facebook

Sunday, December 13, 2015

3D printer: BQ Hephestos 2

Christmas is earlier this year ! I bought the very new and just released spanish 3D printer BQ Hephestos 2. It is a RepPrap Prusa I3 type printer. According to the specs, print dimension is (x)210 mm x (y)297 mm x (z)220 mm. Packaging is very nice and everything is made for an easy assembly.


Assembly:

The advertising says that it can be completed in less 2 hours. Well, to be honest, they must be super-humans, because it took me around 4 hours non-stop. I would say that the mechanic part is well thought and assembly went well. Wiring is another story. It could be better I think. Overall I'm satisfied with the kit. I switched it on and it said "hello world", and it speaks several languages. Below are all the detailed pictures I took during the assembly.


Calibration and first print:

Calibration started badly until I understood that I shifted the 3 end course switch connectors. After fixing this the calibration went OK and is quite simple. I interrupted the first print attempt the offset of the nozzle was wrong. Then I also stopped the next 3 prints because the first layer doesn't stay on thé plate. I tried with some paper masking tape, but same result. Then I used some hair spray but again same result. I therefore ordered a buildtak and 3M Blue tape on Amazon. But I didn't want to end my day on a failure, so I decided to simply use double face tape, and could print a Jedi ballast spacer. Result is nice. Then I tried a mobius camera mount, but quality was not good, the part had no integrity, like it was made from noodles. Is it a problem of temperature? Speed? GCode ? No idea. I will do some more test when receiving the buildtak and tape. For the rest, the printer is pretty easy so use, the interface is very intuitive and the rotary/push button very convenient. Overall, I'm satisfied, but there is obviously a learning curve and I'm at the beginning.

The printer in action:


2 comments:

  1. Wrong temperature, for PLA the best results are abound 220

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m surely coming again to read these articles and blogs eddm printing companies

    ReplyDelete

Jehnedi (CZ) F3G Eurotour final contest report

Text and photos:  Sebastian Haase (German version below) In my last and first report on the new, young and upcoming FAI class F3G, Pierre an...