This new weasel seems very similar in term of planform, but probably has different airfoils. The visible differences are:
- Elevons are moulded, not balsa. they seems stiff enough when I manipulate them.
- Like the Alula TREK, she has a canopy giving a full access to the radio compartiment and a plastic landing skid to protect the underside of the nose. the canopy is maintained in place by several magnets.
- The spar is no more integrated during the moulding, but added/glued after.
- The locking system is the same than the Alula TREK, and the joiner too.
- The skid integrate a ballast compartiment able to receive 50g of lead. It also keep the finger recess for better launching
- The fin is secured with a magnet.
In term of construction, spars, control horns, magnets, skid are all in place, which means a speedy assembly, around 30 minutes like the Alula TREK. The longer will be once again to decide about the color scheme and the painting :) ! I have few hours to think about it before to start the assembly.
Quality of the moulding and fit is as good as the Alula TREK, with a nice surface finish.
As option I received also the 750mAh NiMh battery and the 2 metal gears servos (12gr class servos), and the lead extension between the receiver and the battery.
The weight of the frame + radio equipment is 280grs, compared to the 360grs of my Weasel EVO (made from EPP). Light flying weight means better capabilities in light conditions, and better agility. I anticipate the Weasel TREK to be a nice aerobat, VTPR capable.
- Wingspan: 900 mm (35.4 in)
- Wing Area: 23.42 dm2 (363 in2)
- Weight: 312-395 gm (11.5-14 oz)
- Wing Loading: 13.3-16.9 gm/dm2 (4.6-5.6 oz/ft2)
- Controls : 2 Channels (elevons)
- Assembly: Under an hour (I would say 30 minutes)
- Flight Style: Slope thruster
- Wind Speed: 3-12 m/s (7-25 mph)
I'm very exited to test this new Weasel TREK as I really loved the previous versions. I had one Weasel EVO EPP in 2009, and I still have my Weasel Black Edition, so it will be an opportunity to test them side by side. Stay tuned for the assembly and the maiden that should happen this week-end !